Bike Ottawa (Citizens for Safe Cycling) is growing to keep up with a new era of investment in sustainable transportation. We are seeking an individual who will help us organize and expand our reach, so that we can continue to actively advocate for making Ottawa a great cycling city. If you’re passionate about cycling as transportation and have a flexible schedule, this position may be a great fit for you...
The responsibilities are to attend our monthly volunteer Advocacy Working Group meeting in Hintonburg to track projects, record minutes and write monthly status updates. This information should be written in a format that can be shared with others, such as blog editorials highlighting BikeOttawa activities, as well as a project status tracking tool that already exists. Part of the role will be to identify efficiencies in advocacy representative coverage of the many relevant City projects that Bike Ottawa/CfSC is trying to follow.
This position will also support the continued development of a member recruitment, retention and engagement strategy, as defined and steered by the BikeOttawa Board of Directors, including tracking and identifying member demographics, supporting improved outreach in target areas for growth, identifying potential member benefits, and improving member and stakeholder engagement through the website, social media accounts, newsletters, and targeted communications with members.
Time permitting, the position will include other general office activities, such as monitoring the generic BikeOttawa email account, maintaining the member list and processing new memberships, and performing general office work as required.
The position reports to the BikeOttawa/CfSC president, and will receive support and direction from BikeOttawa/CfSC’s Board of Directors and committee chairs.
This is a great position for someone who wants to make Ottawa a better biking city, gain familiarity with how government and advocacy groups interact, and build a network of contacts within the Ottawa cycling community.
- Knowledge of City of Ottawa geography
- Knowledge of how city projects are executed
- Experience working with and maintaining databases
- Works well with minimal supervision and is self-motivated
- English writing skills, including in styles appropriate for formal settings, the web and social media
- Knowledge of basic web page authoring
- Familiarity with BikeOttawa and our policies
- Knowledge of design and engineering principles that are applied in planning cycling facilities in Ontario and elsewhere
- Knowledge of the Ottawa Cycling Plan and related planning documents
- Knowledge of how the governments of Ottawa, Gatineau, Ontario, Québec, and Canada interact in the construction and maintenance of cycling facilities in the National Capital Region
- Bilingualism in French and English is considered an asset
Hours, Term and Remuneration
The position starts on May 1, 2017 for an initial term of three to four months, with possibility of extension. The position will require approximately 12-15 hours per week.
Most of the work hours are flexible and remote. Some evening and weekend hours are expected as per scheduling of relevant meetings and events. There is no office and, as the contractor, the successful candidate must provide his/her own computer and Internet connection.
Pay is between $18 and $25 per hour, depending on experience.
Photo credit: Heather Shearer