Bike Ottawa’s Guide to Cycling Laws in Ottawa

Welcome to Bike Ottawa’s Biking Laws Guide! This guide was inspired by a desire to not only inform people about biking legislation in Ottawa, but to allow them to see the relevant legislation with their own eyes.

Ottawa is unique among Canadian cities in that it involves three different jurisdictions: the municipality, the province, and the National Capital Commission. Most municipal and NCC legislation defers to the provincial Highway Traffic Act, but they also have their own specific provisions pertaining to biking, so we’ve included them on this page too. 

💡 TIP! Generally, provincial jurisdiction includes highways, like the 417, 416, and Highway 7, but not regional roads like the 174. Federal jurisdiction usually includes parkways like the Kichi Zībī Mīkan, the Sir George Étienne Cartier, Aviation, and Airport parkways, as well as Island Park Drive, Colonel By Drive, and the National Capital Commission and Queen Elizabeth Driveways. City of Ottawa municipal jurisdiction includes almost all other roads and parks. To find out which jurisdiction you’re in at any given time, check out GeoOttawa and tick the box for the layer Property Parcels > Public Owned Land.

The topics in this guide are organized loosely in order of importance. In addition to the relevant legislation from each jurisdiction and links to it, we also occasionally provide commentary. With this commentary, we’ve tried to explain what we think is going on, but also point out where the legislation is unclear. Finally, at the end of this guide, you’ll find links to the full legislation this guide draws from. 

Please note that nothing in this guide should be construed as legal advice; we merely provide it for your information. 

We hope you find this guide helpful! If you have any suggestions, feedback, or additional questions please contact us at We plan to expand this guide in the future to include additional topics, as well as legislation pertaining to Gatineau (both municipal and provincial). Stay tuned!

Must I wear a helmet while riding a bike?

All cyclists under the age of 18 must wear a CSA-approved (Regulation 610 s. 4(1)) or similar helmet (HTA s. 104(2.1)). It must be fitted properly and worn correctly. Parents or guardians are responsible to ensure that riders under the age of 16 (i.e., 15 and younger) are properly wearing helmets (HTA S. 104(2.2)).

Penalty: $60 fine. 

What other gear must I have? 

The answer depends on whether it’s night (or low-visibility conditions) or day. 

During the day, bicycles must have a bell or similar noise-making device in good working order. Cyclists must sound it whenever reasonably necessary to notify pedestrians or others of their approach (HTA S. 75 (1)(5))

At night* and during poor visibility**, bicycles must have the aforementioned bell and must also “carry a lighted lamp displaying a white or amber light on its front and a lighted lamp displaying a red light or a reflector on its rear, and in addition white reflective material shall be placed on its front forks, and red reflective material covering a surface of not less than 250 millimetres in length and 25 millimetres in width shall be placed on its rear.” (HTA S. 62 (2)(17)

* The HTA defines night as the period from 30 minutes before sunset to 30 minutes after dawn. HTA S. 62 (2)(17)

** The HTA defines poor visibility as when people and vehicles are not clearly discernible at a distance of 150m. HTA S. 62 (2)(17)

Penalty: $85 fine.

Do I have to use the bike lane or other bicycle infrastructure when it is available?

Generally, no: there are no Ontario laws or Ottawa by-laws that require cyclists to use exclusively bicycle infrastructure when it is available. Cyclists may choose to use bicycle-only infrastructure, like bike lanes or other lanes shared with other road users.

On NCC property, cyclists can choose to ride on bicycle-designated paths or anywhere else meant for vehicles. (NCC Traffic and Property Regulations s. 16(1))

Can I ride my bike on the sidewalk?

No, you cannot legally bike on the sidewalk. According to the City of Ottawa’s by-laws, “no person shall drive a vehicle or ride upon a skateboard, roller skates or in-lines skates on a sidewalk except for the purpose of directly crossing the sidewalk” (Part A, Sec. 67), and these by-laws rely on the provincial Highway Traffic Act for its definition of vehicle, whereby a bicycle is a vehicle. (See also the HTA’s definition of sidewalk.)

What am I required to do at a stop sign?

In Ottawa, cyclists must come to a stop at a stop sign. Stops must occur behind a marked stop line if one exists, or behind the crosswalk if there is no stop line, or at the edge of the intersection if there is neither (HTA s.136 (1) (a)). Once stopped, you can proceed when it is clear to do so.

Must I signal every turn I make? If so, how?

Not always. Signalling a turn is required if another vehicle’s movement may be affected by your turn (HTA s. 142 (1)). 

Left turns are signalled by extending your left arm straight out (HTA s. 142 (4a)).

Right turns may be signalled by either by extending your right arm straight out (HTA s. 142 (5)), or extending your left arm at a 90 degree angle (HTA s. 142 (4b)).

Can cyclists receive speeding infractions?

Cyclists are excluded from enforcement of provincial speeding laws, which specify speed limits for motor vehicles only (HTA S. 128 (1)).

However! The city of Ottawa does not make this distinction, meaning speed limits and associated penalties apply to cyclists as well as motor vehicles (City of Ottawa traffic by-laws, Part A – VI – s. 52).

What must I provide a law enforcement officer if they stop me?

You do have to identify yourself to police officers, even if you do not have to have an ID on your person while riding a bike. A name and address are sufficient to satisfy this requirement. If you do not identify yourself, the police may place you under arrest. You may also face a $110 fine. The stop cannot be arbitrary, however. (HTA S. 218)


Guide des lois relatives à la pratique du vélo à Ottawa

C’est avec plaisir que nous vous présentons la version française de ce Guide. Il est né de notre désir d’informer les citoyens sur les lois régissant la pratique du vélo à Ottawa et de leur permettre de consulter par eux-mêmes les lois pertinentes.

La ville d’Ottawa est unique parmi les villes canadiennes, les déplacements à vélo y étant régis par trois juridictions différentes : la municipalité, la province et la Commission de la Capitale Nationale (CCN). La plupart des règlements municipaux et de la CCN s’en remettent au Code de la route provincial, mais ils ont aussi leurs propres dispositions concernant le vélo que nous avons également incluses dans ce Guide.

💡CONSEIL ! En général, la juridiction provinciale comprend les autoroutes, comme la 417, la 416 et la route 7, mais pas les routes régionales comme la 174. La juridiction fédérale comprend habituellement les promenades comme les promenades Sir John A. MacDonald, Sir George-Étienne Cartier, de l'Aviation et de l'Aéroport, ainsi que les promenades Island Park et Colonel By, et les promenades de la Commission de la capitale nationale comme la promenade Reine Elizabeth. La juridiction de la Ville d'Ottawa comprend presque toutes les autres routes et tous les parcs. Pour savoir dans quelle juridiction vous vous trouvez, consultez GéoOttawa et dans la liste des couches en haut à droite, cochez la case « Terrains du domaine public » dans la catégorie « Property parcels  ».

Les sujets abordés dans le présent Guide sont classés par ordre d’importance. En plus de la réglementation pertinente de chaque juridiction et des liens vers celle-ci, nous fournissons occasionnellement des commentaires. Dans ces commentaires, nous présentons notre interprétation et nous indiquons les endroits où la législation est peu claire. Enfin, à la fin du Guide, vous trouverez des liens vers la législation pertinente.

Veuillez noter que cette documentation ne doit pas être interprétée comme un avis juridique ; nous la fournissons simplement à titre indicatif.

Nous espérons que vous trouverez ce Guide utile ! Si vous avez des suggestions, des commentaires ou des questions, veuillez nous contacter à Nous prévoyons de faire des mises à jour afin d’y inclure d’autres sujets, tels que les lois s’appliquant à Gatineau (tant municipales que provinciales). Restez à l’écoute !

Dois-je porter un casque lorsque je fais du vélo ?

Toutes les personnes de moins de 18 ans roulant à vélo doivent porter un casque approuvé par l’Association Canadienne de Normalisation1 ou un casque similaire2. Il doit être bien ajusté et porté correctement. Il incombe aux parents ou aux tuteurs de s’assurer que les conducteurs de moins de 16 ans portent correctement leur casque3.

Sanction : amende de 60 $.

Quel autre équipement dois-je avoir ? 

La réponse varie selon que vous roulez la nuit (ou dans des conditions de faible visibilité) ou le jour. 

Le jour, les vélos doivent être munis d’une sonnette ou d’un dispositif sonore similaire en bon état de fonctionnement. Les personnes à vélo doivent la faire retentir chaque fois que cela est raisonnablement nécessaire pour avertir les piétons ou d’autres personnes de leur approche4.

La nuit* et en cas de mauvaise visibilité**, les bicyclettes doivent être munies de la sonnette susmentionnée et doivent également être munies « à l’avant d’un feu allumé émettant une lumière blanche ou jaune et, à l’arrière, d’un feu allumé émettant une lumière rouge ou d’un réflecteur. En outre, la fourche avant d’un tel moyen de transport doit être munie d’un dispositif réfléchissant de couleur blanche, tandis que l’arrière de celui-ci doit être muni d’un dispositif réfléchissant de couleur rouge couvrant une surface d’au moins 250 millimètres de long et 25 millimètres de large »5.

* Le Code de la route définit la nuit comme étant la période allant de 30 minutes avant le coucher du soleil à 30 minutes après le lever du soleil6.

** Le Code de la route définit la mauvaise visibilité comme une situation où les personnes et les véhicules ne sont pas nettement visibles à une distance de 150 mètres7.

Sanction : amende de 85 $.

Dois-je obligatoirement utiliser la piste cyclable ou toute autre infrastructure cyclable disponible ?

En général, non : aucune loi ontarienne ni aucun règlement municipal d’Ottawa n’oblige les personnes à vélo à emprunter les aménagements cyclables. Les personnes à vélo peuvent aussi bien utiliser les infrastructures réservées aux vélos, comme les bandes cyclables, que les voies partagées avec d’autres usagers de la route.

Sur les terrains de la CCN, les personnes à vélo peuvent choisir d’emprunter les pistes cyclables ou les promenades8.

Puis-je faire du vélo sur le trottoir ?

Non, vous ne pouvez pas légalement faire du vélo sur le trottoir. Selon les règlements de la Ville d’Ottawa « nul ne doit conduire un véhicule ou se déplacer en planche à roulettes, en patins à roulettes ou en patins à roues alignées sur un trottoir, sauf pour le traverser directement9», et ces règlements s’appuient sur le Code de la route de la province pour définir le terme de « véhicule », selon lequel une bicyclette est un véhicule.

Que dois-je faire à un panneau d’arrêt ?

À Ottawa, les personnes à vélo doivent s’arrêter à un panneau d’arrêt. L’arrêt doit se faire derrière une ligne d’arrêt marquée, s’il y en a une, ou avant le passage pour piétons s’il n’y a pas de ligne d’arrêt, ou au bord de l’intersection s’il n’y pas de passage pour piétons10. Une fois arrêté, vous pouvez poursuivre votre chemin lorsque la voie est libre.

Dois-je signaler chaque virage que je prends ? Si oui, comment ?

Pas toujours. Vous devez signaler un virage si le mouvement d’un autre véhicule risque d’être entravé par votre virage11.

Les virages à gauche sont signalés en étendant le bras gauche vers l’extérieur12.

Les virages à droite peuvent être signalés soit en étendant votre bras droit horizontalement13, soit en étendant horizontalement votre bras gauche tout en pointant votre avant-bras et votre main vers le haut14.

Les personnes à vélo peuvent-elles recevoir des amendes pour excès de vitesse ?

Les personnes à vélo sont exclues de l’application des lois provinciales sur les excès de vitesse, qui précisent les limites de vitesse pour les véhicules à moteur seulement15.

Toutefois, la ville d’Ottawa ne fait pas cette distinction, ce qui signifie que les limites de vitesse et les pénalités qui y sont associées s’appliquent aussi bien aux personnes à vélos qu’aux conducteurs de véhicules à moteur16.

Que dois-je fournir à un agent d’application de la loi s’il m’arrête ?

Vous devez vous identifier aux agents de police, même si vous n’êtes pas obligé d’avoir une pièce d’identité sur vous lorsque vous roulez à vélo. Un nom et une adresse suffisent pour satisfaire à cette exigence. Si vous ne vous identifiez pas, la police peut vous arrêter. Vous pouvez également être condamné à une amende de 110 $. L’arrestation ne peut toutefois pas être arbitraire17.

Législation :

Code de la route de l’Ontario

Règlement sur la circulation et le stationnement de la Ville d’Ottawa

Règlement sur les propriétés de la Commission de la Capitale nationale et la circulation sur ces dernières

  1. Casques protecteurs, R.R.O. 1990, règlement 610, paragraphe 4(1).
  2.  Code de la route, L.R.O. 1990, chapitre H.8, par. 104(2.1).
  3.  Ibid., par. 104(2.2).
  4.  Ibid., par. 75(5).
  5.  Ibid., par. 62(17).
  6.  Ibid.
  7.  Ibid.
  8.  Règlement sur les propriétés de la CCN et la circulation sur ces dernières, C.R.C., ch. 1044, par. 16(1).
  9.  Règlement de la Ville d’Ottawa régissant la circulation et le stationnement sur la voie publique, Ville d’Ottawa, règlement n° 2017-301, adopté le 27 septembre 2017, article 67.
  10.  Code de la route, supra, note 1, alinéa 136(1)a).
  11.  Ibid., par. 142(1).
  12.  Ibid., al. 142(4)a).
  13.  Ibid., par. 142(5).
  14.  Ibid., al. 142(4)b).
  15.  Ibid., par. 128(1).
  16.  Règlement de la Ville d’Ottawa régissant la circulation et le stationnement sur la voie publique, supra, note 9, art. 52.
  17.  Code de la route, supra, note 1, art. 218.